Basque Country | Sanctuary of Loyola

Azpeitia / Basque Country. Situated in the Urola valley, the sanctuary is built around the tower house of the Loyola family. The basilica is the central part of the building designed by the Italian architect Carlo Maria Fontana.

The basilica is the central part of the building designed by the Italian architect Carlo Maria Fontana. From the outside we can admire an impressive dome 65 meters in height, which brings balance to the 150 meter long frontage. The first stone was laid on 28th March 1689 and the building was dedicated on 31st July 1738, the feast of St. Ignatius. The whole structure, on which up to 600 masons worked, was made of large blocks of limestone quarried from Mount Izarraitz. The dome measures twenty meters in diameter and reaches fifty meters in height. At the base of the dome are represented the virtues of Faith, Hope, Religion, Charity, Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. Above them, there are the coats of arms of the houses of Habsburg and Bourbon, who paid for the building.

The main altar was designed by Ignacio de Ibero in churrigueresque style decorated with inlaid marble and was executed between 1750 and 1757. At the top stands a statue of Saint Ignatius of Loyola made of silver, which was given in 1758 by the Royal Guipuzcoan Company of Caracas. Two events make Loyola a centre for pilgrimage, the birth of Inigo Lopez de Loyola in 1491 and his conversion in 1521.


Dos acontecimientos convierten a Loyola en centro de una continua peregrinación. El nacimiento de Íñigo López de Loyola en 1491 y su conversión en 1521. Situado en el valle del río Urola, es un complejo arquitectónico que se construyó en torno a la casa torre de la familia de los Loyola. La basilica. Desde el exterior se contempla una impresionante cúpula de 65 metros de altura, que aporta equilibrio a la fachada de 150 metros de longitud. La primera piedra se colocó el 28 de marzo de 1689 y el edificio se inauguró el 31 de julio de 1738, fiesta de San Ignacio. Toda la obra, en la que trabajaron hasta 600 canteros, se realizó a base de grandes bloques de mármol extraídos del monte Izarraitz. La cúpula. Con un diámetro de veinte metros, alcanza los cincuenta de altura y sus nervios quedan reflejados en el diseño de las losas del pavimento. En el arranque están representadas las virtudes de la Fe, Esperanza, Religión, Caridad, Prudencia, Justicia, Fortaleza y Templanza.


Santutegia. Urola ibaiaren bailaran kokaturik, Loiolatarren familiako dorretxearen inguruan eraiki zen multzo arkitektonikoa da. Basilika. Kanpotik, 150 metroko luzera duen aurrealdea orekatzen duen 65 metro altuerako izugarrizko kupula bat ikusten da. Aurreneko harria 1689ko martxoaren 28an jarri zen eta eraikinak 1738ko uztailaren 31n, San Inazio festa egunean, ireki zituen lehendabiziko aldiz bere ateak. Eraikin guztian 600 harginek lan egin zuten, Izarraitz menditik hartutako marmolezko bloke haundiak erabiliz.


Le sanctuaire de Loyola est situé en Euskadi dans la vallée de la rivière Urola, c’est un complexe architectural qui fut construit autour de la maison fortifiée de la famille Loyola. Deux événements font de Loyola un centre de pèlerinage permanent, la naissance d’Inigo Lopez de Loyola en 1491 et sa conversion en 1521.

La partie centrale de la Basilique de Loyola est l’oeuvre de l’architecte italien Carlo Maria Fontana. De l’extérieur, on peut contempler un impressionnant dôme de 65 mètres de hauteur, qui apporte de l’équilibre à la façade de 150 mètres de longueur. La première pierre a été posée le 28 mars 1689 et le bâtiment a été inauguré le 31 juillet 1738, en la fête de Saint Ignace. L’ensemble des travaux, dans lesquels ont travaillé jusqu’à 600 tailleurs de pierre, a été fait sur la base de grands blocs de marbre extraits du mont Izarraitz.

Report HD ©Euskadi 24 TV – August 22, 2022


Euskadi 24 Television